Cranxiety: Anxiety that a crafter/ maker experiences when:
1) Creating an item and wondering if it will be well liked/received/ appreciated by the recipient
2) Creating an item for someone and wondering if it will fit appropriately
3) Creating an item and comparing it to other makers items.
4) Being overly critical of their own goods.
5) They want to apply to a really super awesome craft show in their town but wonder if they really are as cool as those other really cool makers that they saw at the previous years craft show.
And that my friends is what I’m experiencing right now. You see, there is this super rad craft show in my town put on by Craft Mafia. It’s not just your grandmas craft show, y’all! It seriously is the bees knees. I used to have an etsy shop where I sold whimsical crocheted hats targeted towards newborns/babies. It was fun, for a bit until I realized that crocheting all the day long just wasn’t appealing. Don’t get me wrong, I love crocheting but I also love dabbling in so many other things that I was feeling stuck and so I stopped. Crocheting is pretty awesome but crocheting hat after hat after hat gets mundane, no matter how adorable they are. Most certainly some of these guys will make an appearance in the etsy shop, because there is no way I could totally kick such cuteness out!
I’ve continued making many things as gifts for family and friends since I stepped away from my days as a compulsive yarn-buying crocheter of infant hats. I’m also in the works of getting my shit together to open up a new, improved, much more up my “not in a box alley” etsy shop. BUT that hasn’t completely happened quite yet! However, currently in the works are:
1) Expanding on these sweet little gnome hats that I made for Sugar Pies birthday party. I’m thinking felt pirate hats, crowns, and wizard hats as well as of course, the gnome hats!
2) 4 ft. play tents aka: “pup tents”
3) Some lovely ribbon wands, which will also get expanded upon and turned into wizard/magic wands, fairy/princess wands etc..
3) Capes, capes, capes! I’m way excited about these but don’t have a good picture yet to post! Just imagine dual sided capes: 1 side super hero, 1 side magician/wizard- totally fun, no?
4) I also have been cranking out a good number of these little personalized swaddle wraps (which I know don’t flow with the above, but whatevs..) that will probably go up in the new etsy shop, but maybe it wouldn’t really make sense at the craft show!
5) Felt Donuts!!!!!!! Donuts are totally the new cupcake, don’t you agree!? I’ll have to take a picture of some completed donuts tomorrow (which come in sets of 3 in a cute little sewn bag). I am thinking of maybe adding some other felted sweets, or maybe not, I don’t know! For now, here is a little teaser of what I’ve been working on:
6) Embroidered hoop art! This stuff takes fo-evaaaa yo- that’s no lie. I now totally get why they are so pricey to buy! Also, I randomly decided to try wrapping the outside with fabric and WHOA- I’m in love! I don’t know if I would sell these or not if accepted into Richmonds finest craft show, but you can bet that at least one will be used to enhance my display because they are beautiful!
Now do you see why I can’t just crochet newborn hats all the day long!? My brain just wasn’t putting up with that nonsense.
Oh and yes, I’m supposed to also describe on the application how my booth will look! Whaaaaa? My booth? First I’ve got get all my goods together THAN I’ll get that booth together! One step at a time grasshopper! But do not worry- I am an art teacher, currently on hold, and I know how to set up a mean display that won’t disappoint!
Onward I go, I’m going to just bite the bullet and apply. I only have $10 to lose, which actually would buy me two lattes at my favorite coffee shop here in town. Even more reason why I need to make the cut because I can’t handle wasted coffee money!
Wish me luck!